Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Equal thirds and the Rye Cove rule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Equal thirds and the Rye Cove rule

    just a couple comments / questions.

    how many Football State Titles have come back to SWVA since they decided to do the equal thirds to determin A , AA, AAA and the division split? I know of 2, Gate City and Richlands but I don't know when this all started. I will assume it was after PV and Appy won an impressive amount at the state level, but then again they were playing on a level playing field. They sure figured out a way to give an advantage to central and NOVA in that aspect.

    Using Lee High in the "Rye Cove" rule should not happen. Lee was given a special "hardship" drop to be a Single A school and if you were given a special excpetion I don't think they should count when schools file petition's to drop. Just go to the next school in size but leave Lee out of the equation or we should just put them back to AA status.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #2
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Equal thirds and the Rye Cove rule

    You might get a D1 champ with the RC rule because this would raise the size of the D1 schools in this end. (1/2 of Lee's size) The 1/3s rule was changed soon after a year when PV went 14-0, Appy 13-1 and GC 12-2 in the same year, all state champs (1994 maybe?). The same season Lee was in the state semis and doing well, or leading till late in the game.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Equal thirds and the Rye Cove rule

    I wasn't sure when the equal thirds took place but the year you are thinking of would have been 97 that all 3 won championships and Lee was beaten in the semis.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #4
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Equal thirds and the Rye Cove rule

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: starbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just a couple comments / questions.

    how many Football State Titles have come back to SWVA since they decided to do the equal thirds to determin A , AA, AAA and the division split? I know of 2, Gate City and Richlands but I don't know when this all started. I will assume it was after PV and Appy won an impressive amount at the state level, but then again they were playing on a level playing field. They sure figured out a way to give an advantage to central and NOVA in that aspect.

    Using Lee High in the "Rye Cove" rule should not happen. Lee was given a special "hardship" drop to be a Single A school and if you were given a special excpetion I don't think they should count when schools file petition's to drop. Just go to the next school in size but leave Lee out of the equation or we should just put them back to AA status.

    </div></div>

    I agree however the only team that would affect will be Coeburn. Both Castlewood and Clintwood are elagbal for the RC rule via 4 and 3 teams respectability

    I do wonder if either will get to drop or not

  5. #5
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Equal thirds and the Rye Cove rule

    The other question is do ya wanna play JIB to get out of the region ,or take your chances on someone knocking them off?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_VHSLhelper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2005
    Posts
    883
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Equal thirds and the Rye Cove rule

    "how many Football State Titles have come back to SWVA since they decided to do the equal thirds to determin A , AA, AAA and the division split?"

    That looks like 3 different questions to me, so I'll answer it bit by bit.

    I posted all the SW football titles not too long ago - maybe someone has that thread saved or bookmaked.

    the Div. split was introduced in 1986, when Garden & Tazewell made the finals.

    "equal thirds" wasn't around in 1993. I wasn't in radio for most of the 90's, so I wasn't on the media mailing list after '93 and don't know exactly what year that started.

    stripes - you're right about 1997; Lee lost to Heritage (Lynchburg) 17-14 in the semis, then Spotsy won the title.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Equal thirds and the Rye Cove rule

    Yeah I knew I was right on 97. I had friends on the PV, GC and Lee teams and took the beating from Appy in the regional finals. The GC-Jefferson Forest game was something else to attend the week before. That was the state title game IMO. Broadway was horrible compared to most quality teams in our area that year.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  8. #8
    Inactive Member imported_brettc's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2007
    Posts
    267
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Equal thirds and the Rye Cove rule

    I hope both Clintwood and Castlewood drop neither are D2 schools

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •